It is always curious how ancient rituals or beliefs turn up in our day as something entirely different from the original. In this case St. Valentine’s Day. The only common thread seems to be lovemaking.
From an NPR story from some 10 years ago:
Valentine’s Day is a time to celebrate romance and love and kissy-face fealty. But the origins of this festival of candy and cupids are actually dark, bloody — and a bit muddled.
Though no one has pinpointed the exact origin of the holiday, one good place to start is ancient Rome, where men hit on women by, well, hitting them.
From Feb. 13 to 15, the Romans celebrated the feast of Lupercalia. The men sacrificed a goat and a dog, then whipped women with the hides of the animals they had just slain.
The Roman romantics “were drunk. They were naked,” says Noel Lenski, a historian at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Young women would actually line up for the men to hit them, Lenski says. They believed this would make them fertile.
The brutal fete included a matchmaking lottery, in which young men drew the names of women from a jar. The couple would then be, um, coupled up for the duration of the festival — or longer, if the match was right.
The ancient Romans may also be responsible for the name of our modern day of love. Emperor Claudius II executed two men — both named Valentine — on Feb. 14 of different years in the 3rd century A.D. Their martyrdom was honored by the Catholic Church with the celebration of St. Valentine’s Day.
Much more at the link. We strongly recommend not trying to emulate the ancient Romans.
On to the quiz:
- Feb. 1, 1960 “four African American students sat down and ordered coffee at a lunch counter inside a Woolworth’s store.” What city did this first “sit-in” occur in?
- Impeachment defense lawyers Friday launched a defense that included a long video of Democratic politicians uttering what word over and over?
- What amendment to the US constitution abolished slavery in the US?
- Rudy Giuliani was sued by Dominion Voting Systems for how much for the lies he broadcast about Dominion?
- Feb 22 & 23, what Biden cabinet nominee will finally get a senate hearing some 5 years after his original hearings were blocked by Mitch McConnell?
- Feb. 11, 1937 the original sit-down strike began at what automaker’s Flint plant was a major turning point for labor rights in this country?
- Due to the pandemic, the world is suffering a shortage of what component of seemingly everything that is made these days? New cars are especially short of these items.
- What well-known anti-vaxxer has been banned from instagram for his continuing sharing of corona virus vaccine misinformation?
- Utah Senator Mike Lee said Tuesday about Trump that “Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone deserves a …” what?
- Meanwhile in Iowa, a bill advances in the legislature to take away what from university professors at our state universities?
- Tomorrow is President’s Day. Can you name 3 of the 4 presidents born in February?
- In Iowa, working to keep our children ignorant, Republicans have advanced a bill that would pull funding from public schools if material from what source is used in History courses?
- Ah, THE BIG GAME was last Sunday. Who was the winning quarterback for Tampa Bay?
- What high ranking administration official was in true danger of being murdered during the Trump insurrection even as Trump acted as if he could care less?
- Kim Reynolds lifted most of the restrictions around corona virus as of last Sunday. She did this without agreement of what group?
- Republican Richard Shelby of what state became at least the 3rd Republican to announce he would not run in 2022?
- More than 100 former Republican officials met last week to discuss organizing what?
- Meanwhile, a criminal investigation has been started in what state concerning Trump’s attempt to “overturn election results”?
- A hacker in Oldsmar, Florida got into the water supply computer and tried to increase the amount of what chemical in the water supply?
- Mary Wilson died at age 76. Wilson was a member of what barrier shattering major rock ’n’ roll group in the 1960s?
If Senate Republicans fail to convict Donald Trump, it won’t be because the facts were with him or his lawyers mounted a competent defense. It will be because the jury includes his co-conspirators. – Hillary Clinton
- Greensboro, NC
- $1.3 Billion
- Merrick Garland nominee for Attorney General
- General Motors
- Computer Chips
- Robert Kennedy, Jr.
- Tenure – that should turn us into a backwater pretty quickly
- Lincoln (12th), Washington (22nd) were the reason behind president’s Day. Also Reagan (6th) and WH Harrison (9th)
- The New York Times 1619 Project
- Tom Brady
- VP Pence
- Her corona virus advisors
- A new anti-Trump party
- Lye – it was caught by an alert city official
- The Supremes