This is not the “assistant” to a News Director, this is the second level of management in a growing newsroom
Channel 8 News in Lincoln, Nebraska is looking for an ASSISTANT NEWS DIRECTOR.
This is a second-level management position in the newsroom and is for qualified, serious journalists only. This is not an entry-level or administrative position or a chance to see what a newsroom is like. This is for the experienced journalist ready to take on a larger role with a growing company.
First and foremost, you must have an innovative spirit ready to mold to the changing landscape of local news. You bring ideas and solutions every day. We are entering a new era of “Nebraska’s Trusted News Source” and I’m looking for the Clark to my Lewis to explore the possibilities here.
The Assistant News Director will run the day-to-day operations of the news team on broadcast, digital, and OTT platforms. The ideal candidate comes with either a digital, producing, or reporting/anchoring background, and can keep everything organized during breaking news as well as help build content on the slow days.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing the assignment collection and distribution process
- Keep all stories “in brand” with the goals and mission of Channel 8 News
- Organizing severe weather coverage from a multi-platform approach
- Working with reporters and mentoring them to grow while still aggressively covering news with an investigative spirit
- Manage a team of producers to have local and locally relevant content in broadcasts
- Organize newsroom schedules
- Oversee long-term planning and beat system.
- Setting and enforcing accountability standards in tandem with the News Director and General Manager
- Posting to the website and social media, and mentoring others to post quality content
- Improving “contacts” system in the newsroom for story ideas and expert analysis
- Manage the editorial meetings for all shifts
- Work with other departments as needed to ensure good communication while respecting ethical lines of coverage
- Assist sports team with coverage of local and travel-required events for High School or Husker sports
- Interview candidates for open positions as needed
- You should have a working knowledge of FOIA, Media Ethics, scanners, newsroom computer systems, CMS, social media, and video editing.
This is a smaller market without the small market news. We keep pretty busy here and there are so many stories to tell. We have an engaged news community, and you need to be able to handle the calls that come in with a positive attitude and helpful spirit. You should also be able to talk a source into giving us information without being brash. You can handle tough talks and think giving one-on-one feedback is vital to success.
Our news team is made up of journalists spanning the past four decades, from an anchor who just celebrated 25 years here to someone who’s starting their career next week. You should seamlessly be able to work with them all.
If you are interested in this rare opening, send your news philosophy, examples of your work, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Please denote how you became aware of this position in your response. Equal Opportunity Employer – All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.