KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Schools in Missouri and Kansas are preparing to open for another school year, as the delta variant has caused concern in both states. KSHB 41 News has compiled a list of all the masking policies in districts across the Kansas City-area.
Check for your district below. Districts are organized by county and placed under Kansas City metro, remaining Missouri and remaining Kansas categories.
Due to a federal mandate, masks will be required on school buses.
This is a developing story and will be updated as more information comes in.
KANSAS CITY-AREA DISTRICTS:
Excelsior Springs School District
- Masks will be encouraged, but not required. The district will be able to provide in-person, hybrid and virtual learning options.
Kearney School District
Liberty School District
Missouri City School District
North Kansas City School District
Smithville R-II School District
Jackson County instituted a mask mandate indoors, which will apply to all schools in the county. The order will begin Aug. 9 and last for 30 days. The policies of districts in Jackson County will be listed below, but at the start of school all districts will be required to mask due to the county order.
Blue Springs School District
- Masks will be optional for students and staff regardless of vaccination status. The district will emphasize cleaning and symptom monitoring.
Center School District
Fort Osage School District
- Masks not required in the district, but the return to school policy stated that rules from the previous school year may be reinstated if there is a spike in cases of COVID-19. Online learning is available as an alternative.
Grain Valley School District
Grandview School District
Hickman Mills School District
Independence School District
Kansas City Public Schools
Lee’s Summit School District
Lone Jack School District
Oak Grove School District
Raytown School District
The Johnson County Board of County Commissioners passed a mask mandate on Aug. 5 for kindergarten through sixth grade students and staff who work in those environments. The individual school district policies are listed below, but after the county’s mandate begins, all schools will be required to mask.
Blue Valley School District
- Masks will be required for all early childhood and kindergarten through eighth grade students, staff and visitors.
Gardner Edgerton School District 231
Olathe Public Schools
Shawnee Mission School District
Spring Hill Unified School District
- Masks will be highly encouraged at Spring Hill, but not required.
- The Board of Education will meet on Monday, Aug. 9 to discuss the Johnson County mandate and COVID-19 mitigation procedures.
Unified School District No. 232
- Mask are required indoors. Teachers will need to wear a mask when in close contact with students.
North Platte School District
Park Hill School District
Platte County School District
West Platte School District
The Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas, Board of Commissioners voted to reinstate the indoor mask mandate, but they left out of the mandate all county school districts and Bonner Springs and Edwardsville.
Bonner Springs/Edwardsville Unified School District
Kansas City, Kansas Public Schools
Piper Kansas City
Turner Unified School District
REMAINING MISSOURI DISTRICTS:
Adrian School District
Appleton School District
- The district said it will “continue to seek guidance from the Centers for Disease Control, Missouri DHSS, and local, state, and national entities” regarding masks, and will then decide its policies. Their return policy states that the rules outlined will be revisited whenever necessary and at least every six months. Remote learning is an option in the district.
- The last update on the return policy was April 15, according to their website.
Ballard School District
- Masks are not required in the district. Absences from school due to COVID-19 will not count against the student.
Butler School District
Hume School District
Miami School District
- Masking is based in phases in the district.
- Phase one: low threat, students may wear masks
- Phase two: increased threat, students are encouraged to wear masks while staff is required to do so
- Phase three: students will experience a hybrid educational setting
- Phase four: the building will shut down and the school will convert to online learning
Rich Hill School District
St. Joseph School District
Braymer School District
Hamilton School District
- Masks will be optional, but the district will defer to mandates given out by the Caldwell County Health Department.
Archie School District
- Masks are recommended in the district but not required. The district will provide two cloth masks to each student. The district also said on its website that they may revert back to their rules from the previous school year if it is deemed necessary. Remote learning is an option in the district.
Belton School District
- Belton has remote learning available. Their website says “Our task force teams have been meeting to review all of the health and safety protocols and will use current CDC, Cass County Health Department, and Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, as well as data from the changes made during in-person summer school to guide us in preparing for August.”
Drexel School District
- The district has outlined their quarantine and contact tracing system here. Masks will be allowed but not required.
East Lynne District
- Masks are welcome but not required, and the district will provide masks to anyone who wants one. Schools will also conduct daily screenings of students and staff.
Harrisonville Cass Schools
Midway School District
Pleasant Hill School District
- Masks are optional but the district said they could be mandated by Cass County, the Cass County Health Department or the School Board, and which point masks would become required.
Raymore-Peculiar School District
Sherwood Cass School District
Strasburg C-3 School District
Cameron School District
Clinton County School District (Plattsburg)
- The school district will not require masks unless the Clinton County Health Department or other government agency makes it a requirement. The district has online learning options available. The last time the district updated their masking policy was June 1.
Lathrop School District
Johnson County (MO):
Chilhowee School District
Kingsville School District
- Masks will be optional, in general, but may be required during times of high transmission risk. The district said it would comply with directives from health departments and other government entities.
Knob Noster School District
- Knob Noster is not requiring masks but said it would update guidelines in accordance with health department guidance. The district will provide a virtual learning option.
Leeton School District
- Leeton school district has not mandated masks, but will follow mandates issued by government agencies. The district will provide virtual instruction options.
Warrensburg School District
Lafayette County School District
Lexington School District
Odessa R-VII School District
Sante Fe School District
Wellington School District
Orrick School District
Richmond School District
REMAINING KANSAS DISTRICTS:
Basehor-Linwood Unified School District
Easton Unified School District 449
Fort Leavenworth Unified School District
- Masks are required for everyone except: students who submit proof of vaccination to the school nurse and staff who submit proof to HR. Children under the age of 2 and people with medical exemptions are also allowed to go maskless.
Lansing Unified School District
Leavenworth Unified School District
Tonganoxie Unified School District
Baldwin City USD 348
Eudora Schools Kansas Unified School District no. 491
Lawrence Public Schools
Silver Lake Schools
Jefferson County North USD 339
Jefferson West School District
Perry-Lecompton USD 343
Valley Falls USD 338
Louisburg Unified School District
Paola Unified School District
USD 367 Osawatomie Unified School District
Atchison Public Schools
USD 377 Atchison County Community Schools
- Masks are currently optional, but the district said it was closely monitoring the spread of the delta variant of COVID-19 and may change its policy.
Central Heights USD
- There is no mask mandate but unvaccinated students are encouraged to wear masks.
USD 287 West Franklin
Pleasanton USD 344
Doniphan West USD 111
Riverside USD 114
Troy Public Schools
Unified School District 365
Auburn-Washburn School District
Shawnee Heights Unified School District 450
Topeka Public Schools
Lyndon USD 421
Marais Des Cygnes Valley USD 456
Osage City USD 420
Santa Fe Trail USD 434
USD 454 Burlingame
Originally Appeared Here